Thomas Ice was introduced to the piano at age 8, and within a year or two he began composing his own music, mostly jazz. His innate creative talent is one of the reasons Thomas also excels at improvisation.
Teachers and Collaborators
Over the years, Thomas has studied with Rick Sadlon of Darien public schools; Brian Landrus and Bill O’Connell at Lagond Music School (Elmsford, NY), composer and performer Dr. Joe Utterback (Stratford, CT), bassist Neddy Smith (Norwalk, CT), Bob Quaranta and Fernando Hernandez at The Collective school of music (New York City), numerous instructors at Neighborhood Music School (New Haven, CT), David Chevan at Southern Connecticut State University, and pianist David Harewood (now in Arlington, MA). When young, Thomas also attended the Fairfield Jazz Guild and various summer jazz camps in New England.
Thomas has performed hundreds of times over the years, both solo and as a member of a duo or band, in front of audiences both small and large (100+). He is best known for his extraordinary talent at improvisation and a style that is entertaining to both jazz aficionados and lay audiences.
Thomas has played with many of the top jazz musicians in southern Connecticut, including for many years with the late George Baker.
Thomas is creative, prolific and versatile. His styles range from jazz swing to pop, blues, Latin, Rock and Broadway. A number of his songs can be heard on his 2019 album “Eagles Sound.”
Thomas’ first meaningful studio work was at The Collective in New York City in 2014, where he recorded a number of jazz standards and his own compositions. Later that year, he was featured on two songs for Neddy Smith’s album, Mood Swing [iTunes]. Neddy is an internationally recognized jazz bassist and composer who both taught Thomas and played gigs with him for many years. Thomas recorded his first CD in 2016 at the warehouse studio at Firehouse 12 (New Haven, CT). His second album, “Eagles Sound,” is a collection of 13 songs recorded on solo piano and is available on Spotify and most other streaming services as well as SoundCloud.
© Copyright 2021 Thomas Ice — All rights reserved.
Password protected song files
Recordings of Recent Performances:
• Take the "A" Train
• Softly as the Morning Sunrise
• "blues improv"
• Georgia On My Mind
• Watermelon Man
• Girl from Ipanema
Upcoming/Recent Public Performances
- Thomas plays keyboard for the “Café Nine All Stars” jazz band at the open jazz jam on the fourth Saturday of every month from 4–7 pm at Café Nine, 250 State Street, New Haven, CT, 203-789-8281.
- Sunday, Sept 25, 2022, 9–11 am, with Mark Macksoud, North Haven, CT.
- Saturday, Nov 5, 2022, 8–11 pm, with the Gatehouse Band and at Christopher Martins Restaurant, 860 State St., New Haven, CT, 203-776-8835.
- Saturday, Dec 3, 2022, 9:30-midnight, with the Gatehouse Band at The Trinity Bar & Restaurant, 157 Orange St., New Haven, CT, 203-495-7736.
- Saturday, Dec 10, 2022, 8–11 pm, with the Gatehouse Band at Christopher Martins Restaurant, 860 State St., New Haven, CT, 203-776-8835.
Songs available on most streaming services.